A book about the idols that wage war for your heart? You may think it’s bound to be old-hat, boring, preachy, and full of ‘Sunday School Talk’ that you’ve heard dozens of times.
Actually, in my opinion this is a great book on a hugely important subject, and it’s well worth your time. Here are some of the reasons I love and recommend it:
1. Kyle shows, over and over through the book that Jesus is what fills the void we try to fill with idols of our own choosing.
2. He asks a lot of great, soul-searching questions.
3. You can understand what he’s trying to say. It’s crisp and easy, but not dumb.
4. He’s funny. Be sure to check out the footnotes, this is where some of his best ‘funnies’ lie.
5. He wants to help you, not tear you down.
6. There’s lots of meat for thinkers, but it’s very accessible for the masses (like me).
If you’re a reader, I highly recommend this work. If you read one book a year, definitely consider reading this one as an extra bonus throughout the year, it’s that good. Plus, it might help you find some joy in reading.
I received a complementary review copy of this book courtesy of the publisher and Netgalley.
5/5 Paper Movement Stars.